lørdag 27. juni 2015

"Happy" -Digital drawing + is fan art legal?






                                 I am a big fan of the Orange is the new black series.
                                I have been researching wether or not it is legal to make
                                fan art of this, but I can not see that it is illegal.However, after
                               careful consideration I decided NOT to publish the Orange
                                is the new black-fanart on my blog.

                              Why? Becouse it may be illegal.
                                I have heard many discussions about fan art.
                               Some say that you can do what you want, becouse everybody
                               else does it. WRONG.

                                Somebody else owns everything that is on the internet, and
                                of course the caracthers in movies, books, etc.
                               There's nothing wrong about drawing another one's carachter
                                from a movie, a comic book etc. -as long as it is in your
                                 sketchbook only.

                              The moment you make any kind of profit from it, it may be
                               considered that you are doing something illegal.

                               However, there are some exeptions. For example, if the
                               carachter in question such as Cinderella, the carachter does not
                               belong to Disney becouse Disney didn't acutally create the
                                carachter Cinderella.Cinderella is an italian folk tale that later
                                appeared in the Grimms' Fairy Tales.

                                I would recommend that you research what kind of laws
                               that applies to the carachter, if you are thinking of drawing
                              something and do not know if it's actually okay or you
                              could be facing a lawsuit.
                 
                              In Norway, I beth many are not aware of that you could get
                             fines for breaking the copyright law and in serious cases,
                               you can actually be facing until tree months of jail.
                              I clarify that I do not know of any cases here in Norway which
                              has actually been punished so strict, but it is also important
                             to remember

                          -Who can see my fan art? Is it a big risk if someone
                             from for example the Disney company can see it?
                        -Is the image I'm making, actually violating anyone's rights?

                        -Can the image I'm making, be considered offensive?

                        I'm in  a group called Gruppa for tegneglade (The group for 
                         people who like to draw in english;) on Facebook, and I see
                        that people are breaking copyright laws ALL the time.
                         I think it's really annoying. People are very good at
                         writing something like; "I found this picture from Google
                          and I drew it.! AAAH! ;);)
                   

                         Google is a search engine.Google
                         does not own or didn't make the painting or photograph.
                         You should always research if you want to make a painting
                         after a photograph or other, and ask before you post something
                        or worse, are trying to sell it.

                          I recommend reading these articles

                         http://chrisoatley.com/fan-art/
                        https://www.plagiarismtoday.com/2010/05/13/the-messy-world-of-fan-art-and-                                     copyright/


                         I admit I have made fan art before, but after reading about
                        what could happen I try so stay away from making fan art,
                         unless it's just in my living room and for no one to see exept me.
                         I have, however never sold a piece of fan art in my life
                         and I have still been able to get comissions or sold pieces from
                        my original work.
 
       
                         I'm saying this becouse I have also read the myth
                         "Making fan art may lead to work that actually gives money".
                         But if you're making fan-art, yes, the drawing is yours
                          but you do not own the caracther, therefore it is not really
                          your work.

                        I Gotta say, I belive that if you are a really good artist
                        and you have passion for what you do, you do not need
                       to make fan art to sell your art. Your art will sell itself.

                      

                           
                           
                             


Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar